Plugin directory names

jendave

Sticking around

Post Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:42 pm

Plugin directory names

Is there a reason that the directory names for the plugins are the author's namespaces? I would like to change the directory names to the plugin they contain (i.e. org.kohsuke.freetrain.land.477 -> VinylHouse). It would make it a lot easier to immediately know which Project is in which directory. Any objections?

freegamer

Site Admin

Post Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:35 pm

Re: Plugin directory names

Daniel would be best placed to answer this properly. I'll try and get his attention.

My understanding is that the usage of author namespaces is so plugins can not clash. I mean, if you and I both created a plugin that did the same thing (e.g. "highway") and we both posted them for other people to use, there's some scope for confusion as the resources will conflict if we published them under the same namespace.

I think possibly a combination of the two approaches is best. Naming plugins with ambiguous names does not help. However using the namespace for uniqueness and an appropriate name (e.g. org.kohsuke.freetrain.land.VinylHouse or org.kohsuke.freetrain.HouseVinyl) may make it a lot easier for all concerned.
Free Gamer - open source games blog
FreeGameDev forums - open source games development community

jendave

Sticking around

Post Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:12 pm

ok. That makes sense. I like your suggestion - use the unique namespace then put the actuall plugin name on the end. That would help a lot in matching Project names in the solution to the file hierarchy.

dmarks

Settling in

Post Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:35 am

Hi guys, sorry for not being very responsive. ;)

I have never heard any explanation for the current plugin namespace style, but Charlie's sounds plausible enough in my ears! If you browse 'PluginsExtra' you'll find that several authors have implemented very similar plugins in parallel, e.g. railway crossings or parking lots...

Return to Core Development